There are no bad tips, but what makes a good tip great is detail!
When making a tip, please DO NOT give your name or address.
We want you to remain ANONYMOUS.
If you are the victim of a crime, we cannot guarantee your anonymity as Police require the victim's name to investigate. Please report your crime directly to police. You can report to Halton Regional Police Service at 905-825-4777.
When submitting your tip, please think of the 5W's and 1H.
Who? Where? When? What? Why? How?
- Who is involved? Who is/are the victim(s) and/or suspect(s)?
- Provide their full name, nicknames and/or alias they go by.
- Provide their description: age, race, height, weight, hair (length, style, colour), eye (colour, do they wear glasses/contacts), typical clothing and any identifying features (scars, marks or tattoos).
- Provide their employment or school information. Provide their schedule.
- Provide their address.
- Where did the crime occur?
- Where does the suspect(s) live?
- Name the city, nearest cross streets, and address.
- Provide a description of the location.
- When did the crime occur?
- Provide the date and time.
- Provide how long the crime occurred for or how long it has been going on for.
- What type of crime are you reporting? (Please provide details)
- What did the suspect(s) do?
- Why did the crime happen? (Was there a reason for it to occur on a certain date and/or time?)
- How did the crime happen? (For example if it is a drug crime, how does the dealer sell drugs).
- How are you aware of the crime? (Did you witness it, overhear someone talking about it, etc.)
- How many people are aware of the crime?How did you know to contact Crime Stoppers? (social media, website, newspaper, road signs etc.)
Remember you have 3 different options when submitting a tip: